Log in

"It's all about the people"


Adventures of Obiewan and Jo

This blog chronicles the Winter 2011-2012 adventures of John Oberright and Jo Rys as they head South For The Winter.  Any BCYC member can comment on their postings.  It's a great way to keep in touch!
  • 23 Nov 2011 10:01 AM | Jo Rys

    Somehow I did not think ahead and had no lunch supplies; Terry and Jim were coming for lunch, so I went into town early and secured supplies.  Then I caught the shuttle back in time to fix lunch for us.  We chatted for a while and went to town; saw the custom house (there is controversy about how that is spelled), the market house, and checked out some other sightseeing places in town.  

    We took Terry and Jim to The Market Pavilion Hotel roof top restaurant; in the daylight, the view was spectacular of the city of Charleston.  We had a drink and went back to Pearlz again for Happy Hour. Thanks Brenda & Ray, for showing us the way. We had a great time with Terry and Jim.

  • 22 Nov 2011 9:59 AM | Jo Rys

    Charleston City Marina

    Jumped on the 11AM Shuttle to West Marine, picked up my teak cleaner, brightener and some other supplies.  City marina has a West Marine shuttle at 11AM every day and there is a Harris Teeter there also.  John was changing the raw water pump (the old one was leaking) that he ordered and arrived by UPS.   He wanted to change it someplace where he could consult a mechanic if he needed help, and he did need a special tool. I never would have thought of doing it that way, that’s the engineer for you.  Late in the afternoon we walked to a seafood place close by and bought fresh tuna and shrimp, had a very nice dinner on the boat.

  • 21 Nov 2011 9:57 AM | Jo Rys

    Charleston City Marina

    Cleaned teak with an old bottle of cleaner; finished that off and did not like how it looked.  Think the cleaner was old and did not do a good job.  Have not been feeling well, so went to the Doc in the Box at CVS--that is what John calls the clinic at CVS.  They gave me some pills we came back and had a quiet evening on the boat.

  • 20 Nov 2011 3:15 PM | Jo Rys

    Charleston City Marina, South Carolina

    We are finally getting to Church today!  Leaving at 10:15; the van will take us to town. 

    We are back from church! for those of you who understand the Catholic church you will understand the Charleston Cathedral, High Mass, with incense, multiple servers and  1 1/2 hours long; the good news is it was air conditioned, a beautiful church and easy to get to. From there we went to the Charleston Market House (very crowded) and looked around.  I plan to do my Christmas shopping there.  Afterwards, we had lunch at Harris Teeter and picked up a few groceries. The van picked us up and we came back;  then did laundry and showers-- they are in the same building so it's good to do them at the same time. 

    We dressed and took our ¼ mile walk to meet Ray & Brenda. We are walking so much I wake up with a Charley horse in my calves. We went to "High Cotton” a wonderful bar and restaurant down town on East Bay Street to see Patrick play with his band; Patrick is Ray and Brenda’s son.  The band was great, we had a wonderful time and the food was excellent! We are so sorry to see them go home they are lots of fun. 

  • 19 Nov 2011 10:18 AM | Jo Rys

     MM 464.5 Charleston City Marina

    Not moving today, doing boat work; always something to do on a boat. Today, I went shopping with Brenda--we hit all the cute shops on King Street.  Since Brenda and Ray are here a few times a year to visit Patrick they know the lay of the land.  It sure helps to have someone guide you around in a new city. 

    Brenda and I went shopping down town and we did lunch:

    Charleston is a great old fashioned town, unharmed by Sherman’s Army during the Civil War. That was because it had fallen on hard times and there was not enough wealth here at that time. The Old City Market, a collection of sheds on Market Street between Meeting and East Bay Streets, was once an outdoor produce and fish market. Today it is a collections of restaurants  shops and local produce and craft stands; this is where the baskets are sold by the descendants of former slaves.

  • 18 Nov 2011 7:07 AM | Jo Rys

     MM 464.5, Charleston City Marina

    Not moving again today.  More boat work, took showers and met our mystery couple at the end of the dock.  We had a wonderful time at Pearlz down town with our mystery couple.  Very crowded, Happy Hour prices on drinks and appetizers.  We had oysters on the half shell, fried shrimp, fried oysters, and a bunch of others stuff I am not sure about after 2 glasses of wine.   From there we went to a hotel roof that was glassed in with heaters everywhere, some heaters' flames shot into the air in a tube, we had another drink and looked at the city lights, so lovely.  What a great evening!

  • 17 Nov 2011 10:03 AM | Jo Rys

    MM 464.5, Charleston City Marina

    The morning brought us beautiful blue skies, and sunshine but there was still some wind which lasted most of the day.  We cleaned out the garage (that is what we call the storage bunk) which took most of the morning. Then we had lunch and met our new neighbors; people come and go, a number of boats are leaving tomorrow. It is wonderful running into everyone again.

    We are waiting for Terry and Jim to arrive for Thanksgiving; we will be doing boat work and some touring until next Wed when they arrive. This afternoon we went into town because I needed some meds, went to CVS and walked around for a while and called the van to pick us up,  It turned cold before we left town-- the good news is I took a jacket; it is supposed to be 40 tonight. 

    John is hooking up our TV; we know nothing about the outside world, except what John reports from the internet about the Market.  It will be good to see something besides charts and places to anchor (not that that has ended but just for now.)

    John said, today he misses being on the go.  I am feeling somewhat the same way, but it is good catching up on chores. I need to clean the Teak, and repair some canvas; can’t believe we left Annapolis only 18 days ago.

    We have company from Annapolis coming tomorrow--stay tuned to find out who came to see us!  Tonight’s dinner was left-over spaghetti, salad and some great bread I found at Harris Teeters; we did finish off  the last molasses cookie in the tin, they were very good.  

  • 16 Nov 2011 9:59 AM | Jo Rys

    MM 464.5, Charleston City Marina

    I took the shuttle this morning and went to the Harris Teeter to fill up on much needed grocery supplies. While I was doing grocery shopping, John washed the boat and did more boat stuff.  Today is also laundry day (sheets, towels, etc.) and more boat stuff. We took the opportunity to have lunch while the sheets and towels washed and were drying--believe it or not the washing machines are in the same building with Salty Mike's.

    The day has been cloudy and very windy; we are happy we are in a Marina, also on the inside of this long cement pier being pushed away from the pier instead of on to the pier.   A big front came in last night and the wind howled and the rain came down in buckets; we arrived here just in time to hide out for a while.  We felt so cozy and secure in our little boat; John checked the lines before we went to bed as all good captains do.

  • 15 Nov 2011 9:56 AM | Jo Rys

    MM 464.5, Charleston Harbor SC

    Shorts Day!!! YEA!!! When Guy and I took the van in to Charleston this morning it was very foggy; when we walked back to the marina almost a mile it was hot at 85 degrees.  We walked thru the Charleston straw market and some shops; Guy had his first taste of a Praline, I purchased a Charleston straw basket to use for fruit on Harmony’s table, just perfect for 3 apples and a few bananas.  After the good walk then the ¼ mile down the dock to the boat.  Had a snack and headed off to do laundry another ¼ mile. By the time I used up all my quarters John showed up and we bought a roll from the marina office (good suggestion Pam).

    While we were shopping John was off to West Marine on the 11AM shuttle (you know we can’t keep the men out of there) and they give us a hard time about shopping. 

    We said good bye to Guy, very, very sad, we all had a wonderful time for two weeks. Guy was great to have around helping with everything I am going to miss him. Tonight John and I are having salad and Shrimp simmered in olive oil, garlic and some herbs, trying to use up the stuff in the freezer, before we load up again next week. 

  • 14 Nov 2011 9:32 AM | Jo Rys

    MM 454.7, Dewees Creek anchorage, SC

    It’s a shorts day!!!  Harmony only has 15 miles to go today so the crew had a quiet morning of reading and computer time taking advantage of  the anchorage  that was wonderfully peaceful and quiet with birds and dolphins hopping about. We planned to arrive in Charleston around 2:30 to take advantage of the slack tide.  Harmony’s crew slept well last night because it was warmer than it has been.

    Oysters are now sold by the bushel in the shells. Back when oyster houses shucked oysters and put them in jars the shells were returned to the estuary to make more oysters. Oyster beds need oyster shells to repopulate.   During the summer oysters spawn and release free swimming larvae, called spat, into the water.  About two weeks later, the spat attach to a sutable surface, called cultch, and begin building their own shells.  The best source of cultch is old oyster shells.

    Unless oyster shells are returned for cultch, the next generation of oysters suffers; if you walk the docks at McClellanville,  you may see an unusual recycling receptacle: the oyster shell drop off site.   Oyster shells are the local recyclable; to maintain the areas shell fish beds.  Oysters are also valuable for cleaning the water.  I read an article in a paper at home a few months ago stating that people are picking up the oyster shells from restaurants in Annapolis, and depositing them back in the Chesapeake Bay, all volunteer; for me  cleaning up the bay is a vital thing to do and we all need to do  our part whatever that is.

    We passed the Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Island, Mount Pleasant, Ben Sawyer Bridge, before entering Charleston Harbor. We had plenty of time so we chugged up the Cooper River, passed the Aquarium and some loading docks.  We are now at the Charleston Marina, we have ¼ mile walk to shore.  But considering how my clothes feel we need several days of miles to walk. We had dinner in a local restaurant: tonight fish and salad.  We are in our reading time and then early to bed we all go.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software